Here are some tips on how to improve the way you use Google search. Most people do not apply them, but still, they can be effective.
- Do not forget to use tabs: Images, Maps, Videos, etc. They specify what you are looking for which enables you to find the content faster.
- Use quotes when you are searching for a specific phrase and you will see the results showing exactly the phrase you were looking for but not just these words in random order.
Best sweets in the city and “Best sweets in the city” will give you different results
- Use the asterisk wildcard if you want to find a particular phrase but you do not remember the exact words. That is brilliant for poetry and lyrics =)
The show must go on and “The * must go on”
- Use hyphen to exclude particular words from your search.
The phrase Chocolate -cake will exclude the word cake from your search
- Use related: to find similar websites.
Related:skyscanner.com and you will see websites similar to skyscanner.com
- Use link: to find a page that leads to a particular website.
Link:booking.com and you will see pages that lead to booking.com
- Use site: to find specific content on a specific site
Single-sourcing site: ClickHelp.com — you will see every time single-sourcing mentioned on Clickhelp.com
- Use filetype: to search for a specific file type.
Stories filetype:pdf — you will see only pdf files in your search
- Use OR to search for 2 words or phrases at the same time
iPhone OR Android — you will see both words in your search
Do not forget to use these tips when you search for something. They allow you to spare time and effort. That is a great opportunity to develop a useful habit =)
Have a nice day!
Bradley Nice, Content Manager at ClickHelp.com — best online documentation tool for SaaS vendors